Jacob Scheef letters (6) 22 June 1885

My husband's family are very fortunate as his great grandfather, Jacob Scheef travelled on holiday to Germany from Armidale, NSW from May to September 1885. While visiting remaining members of his family he sent many letters back to Australia and kept a diary of his time away from home.





John Elder

Port Said

the 22 June 1885


Dear Wife


As I thought to get this letter away yesterday 

and so concluded it I was disappointed as we only left 

Ismalia about 2 o’clock on Sunday and we were the 

sixth vessel in going so we did not get very far 

when the vessel in front of us ran on sand and so we had to 

stop till it got off again which was more than 1 hour 

consequently we did only go about 10 miles on Sunday 

today we will be in Port Said if we have luck as we 

can only go very slowly about 4 miles an hour 

We haven’t seen and passed the spot where the 

accident was which was the consequence 

of our delay of 6 days, There are various rumours about me 

getting to Naples through the loss of time we had 

the ship they say is not going to call there they are 

going to take me to London and then send me from there 

to Naples  but I don’t believe anything of the kind 

however if it should be the case I will let you know 

the land is improving fast now as there is a good deal 

of vegetation here and the immense lot of salt that 

is laying here you can have no idea of it looks the 

same as if there were a heavy fall of snow lying on the 

land you see nothing but salt as far as the eye can 

see miles and miles I only wish we had 1/2 an acre 

of it in Puddledock.


I am always in good heart when the ship is 

going however slowly. For the present I say goodbye 

and hope you keep yourself well.


Yours truly and affectionate



Husband Jacob F Scheef



The following link is to a photograph taken by H Arnoux at Port Said on 19 June 1995. It's wonderful to be able to find a photograph taken at the exact time Jacob was travelling up the Suez Canal. 



Jacob Scheef's voyage so far















Comments